In this article
If you own Max 6, you can authorize with an Internet Authorization (instantaneous), iLok (24-hour wait), or through Challenge / Response (subject to current support wait times).
How do I use internet authorization?
- If you haven't already installed the software, please do so by downloading Max 6. (If you own Max for Live, see Important Notes below.)
- Launch the Max 6 application.
- Click "Authorize".
- UNcheck "Use my iLok smart key" and click "Next".
- Leave "Internet activation" selected and click "Next".
- Enter the serial number in the prompt of your web browser.
- Click the "Authorize" button and your computer is authorized.
- If you get a new computer that you'd like to install this software on, you may do so by following the same steps listed above.
- If you need multiple authorizations, while Cycling '74 limits the total number of computers a user can authorize, our single-user license agreement does allow multiple authorizations, as long as the software is only running on one personal computer at a time.
- If you do not have internet access on the machine being authorized, or Internet Activation fails because of connectivity issues with our authorization server, you may attempt Manual Activation instead, and submit your Challenge string to the Challenge/Response Authorization Form
- In order to authorize Gen, you must have Max version 6.1.8 (or later) installed.
- If you own Ableton Live or Max for Live, you must also own Max if you want to authorize it. Max is a different product from the Max for Live editor (included in Live 9 Suite or purchased separately as "Max for Live"), but the Max installation is still necessary to run the Max for Live editor. There is no need to separately authorize the Max for Live editor, as Live 9 Suite or Max for Live is authorized by Ableton.
If you have followed the instructions and still cannot authorize, please email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I use iLok for authorization?
- If you do not own an iLok and would like more information, please visit the iLok website.
- iLok authorization is not available for Student 12-month Max.
- Review the iLok FAQ.
- Go to the iLok Authorization Form.
- Enter the required iLok information.
- As soon as your iLok account has been verified, an asset will be deposited, and you will be notified.
How do I use Challenge / Response for manual authorization?
If you need to activate Max manually, please follow these steps:
- Launch Max and select "Authorize"
- Uncheck the box that says "use my iLok" and click next
- Select "Manual activation"
- Copy the string of words in the text field labeled "Challenge" exactly as it appears. (Do NOT use the "Save Challenge" option, just do a copy/paste.)
- Submit your Challenge string to the Challenge/Response Authorization Form
Can I authorize Max 6 if I own Max 7 or Max 8?
If you own a full license or have a current annual subscription for Max 7 or Max 8, you may authorize Max 6 using the Challenge / Response system detailed above.
Can I use my Max 5 serial number to authorize Max 6?
No. Max 6 requires its own serial number.
Where do I find my Max 5 or 6 serial numbers?
Your serial number was emailed to you if you purchased Max 5 or 6 directly from Cycling '74. If you cannot find it, e-mail your full name and any alternate email address you may have used for your purchase to email@example.com.
I want to move my Max install from one machine to the other. How do I do it? Do I need to de-authorize?
There is no de-authorization process. You may authorize on another personal machine so long as it belongs to you and Max is not used simultaneously on the two (or more) machines. If you wish to remove Max from a machine, simply trash the Max 6 folder.
I need to run Max simultaneously on more than one machine. Can I have extra authorizations for this?
No. Instead, you may use Max Runtime or Max Standalone to run patches on the unauthorized machines.
Can I authorize Max on both my Windows and Mac machines? Will my patches work on both platforms?
Yes, you can authorize both. And, yes, patches will work on both.
If I own Max for Live, should I also authorize Max?
No. Max is a different product from the Max for Live editor, but the Max installation is still necessary to run the Max for Live editor.
How do I authorize Gen?
If you have Max 6.1.7 (or older), follow these instructions:
If you have Max 6.1.8 (or later), separate authorization for Gen is not necessary.